2011: Elusive rest
The morning is not the start; the night
is not the end. I was awake all night in some state not sure of what was real
and what was a dream. The images are vague and transient and at times almost
clear but not quite. The sense of something concrete is what I am able to feel
when Bhooli tries to break down my door. If I lock it she assumes it’s unlocked
and the resistance the door seems to be putting up is not real. One can’t
really blame her, it’s the monsoons now and all the doors have grown fat on moisture.
It can’t really help itself it was just built like that. If it’s unlocked, well
she is greeted by the semi nude form of my hairiness, which she does not really
mind. She just drops her gaze and continues in her quiet determined way to the
bathroom. She just goes about her work having successfully pushed me out of
bed.
A slight dull pain interspersed with and
odd sharp pinch reminds me that the mattress is old and lumpy, that I am
getting old and that my sciatica is acting up. I bathe every day, I sleep on time
every day, some days it’s later than others but give or take a couple of hours.
The same TV shows bring the day to an end and signal the need to go to sleep.
Is it really need or compulsion or conditioned response? Most days I just bang
the door shut , jam the door so tight that the Bhooli struggles some more the
next morning all the time hoping that she gives up one day. Maybe on my lucky
day she will leave me alone. Slipping into bed has the same set of actions like
some sort of ritual. Not to mention the orientation. Someone managed to seed a
notion that sleeping on the east west axis gives good sleep.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home